Turner Family Fun!

Turner Family Fun!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Look at me now!

After I got into the swing of life with Dennis gone, I started going to the gym and walking - a ton. I was walking about 5 miles a day and lifting weights twice a week. The sad thing is I wasn't losing much weight. So I decided to hire a personal trainer. I had my first meeting with her April 8th. We met about once a week the first few weeks and then we started meeting twice a week. So here's my story. I started out with the following goals I wanted to achieve in 12 weeks:
1. lose 20 lbs.
2. drop two pant sizes
3. run 2 miles without stopping
4. do 15 boy push-ups.

Goals number 3 and 4 were good goals to set, since when I started I couldn't even run one lap around the track. I have never been able to run. I don't think I had ever ran an entire mile without walking - EVER! I could do maybe 2 boy push-ups when we started.

So here we are week #9. I have lost 15 lbs (since April - 24 lbs since Dennis left). I have dropped 2 pant sizes. I can do 30 boy push-ups. And I ran 3 miles without stopping on Monday.

I am writing this stuff - not to brag, but to say first, a personal trainer, especially mine, is awesome. Sandy pushes me far beyond what I ever thought I could do. Physically she knows what I can do - I just have to mentally tell myself I can. She can always scream a few more minutes, sets, punches, whatever we are doing, out of me when I am thinking I will collapse. Second - If I can do it, anyone can. I am 35 years old. I have 50 lbs still to lose, and I can run 3 miles. I have a long ways to go before I am at my ultimate goal, but I am getting there. As for diet. I haven't really changed that too much. I watch what I eat, but I still have a double scoop of ice cream every once in a while, and I do splurge with that whopper now and then. I know the eating will have to start playing a huge roll to lose the next 20 lbs., so thank goodness for Lean Cuisine and Weight Watchers. Portion size is my hardest thing - that is why I like the premade meal choices.

So here's a before and after picture - remember I still have a long way to go. This was so hard for me to post - because I still have so far to go and I still see myself as fat, but my persistent friends won't stop until I post it.






What I am learning from a lifetime of fighting with my weight:
1. The quick fixes are simply that - quick - you lose it quick and gain it quicker.
2. Exercise is a must - and weights are very important - muscle helps you burn fat and it also increases your metabolism. You may weigh more with muscle but you will feel better, look better, and be healthier.
3. Set your goals small and realistic. I could have easily set my goals as run 5 miles, lose 80 lbs, and wear a size 6, but I would have looked at those goals and been frustrated from day one. Remember take it one step at a time.

Next Goals: to be achieved by CANCUN _ Sept 8th
1. Lose 15 lbs.
2. Drop 2 sizes
3. Run 5 miles
4. 40 Push-Ups
5. Be able wear my one-piece swimming suit without the cover-up.

8 comments:

Chellie said...

I don't think it's bragging at all... and if it is... BRAG ALL YOU WANT!

You look fantastic! Way to go!! Your personal trainer sounds wonderful. I can't wait for Dennis to see you in person-- he's going to wonder who this hot little momma is sleeping next to him.

Going to Cancun sounds like a great motivation too. Keep it up!

Chellie said...

P.S. Just for that, I think I WILL make you a Cyndi Lauper tutu!

Nan said...

You are awesome! I am starting to teach a diet class and I just want to tell the ladies... workout! Lift weights! The diet is great if it is what you can eat the rest of your life but be realistic. I am so proud of you Christy!

Sally said...

You look so great! I bet you feel awesome! Congrats Christy!

Super Mom said...

What a motivating story. I am truly inspired and impressed. Way to go!

Roger That said...

Wow Christy! You look so good. What motivation to have a before and after picture like that. Can't wait to see you when I come for your trip...Do you ever listen to the song "One hot momma?" You'll love it:)
I am so happy for you and wish I was as motived as you.

robin said...

I can't believe I missed this post but I did. You look awesome! Way to go but remember it's how you feel about yourself more than how you look so start enjoying it!!!

Jill Hatch-Fong said...

Christy- you do look great. I noticed right away when I saw you in Panguitch how great you looked. It was fun to see you/visit with you while we were both home visiting. Take care...can't wait to see the next set of pictures. It is motivation for all of us!

About Me

My photo
I am a medical social worker on leave for another 5+ years. I am a proud wife of a wonderful man who gladly serves our country in the military. I have 4 exhausting children who keep me running, laughing, and in touch with fantasy.