Turner Family Fun!

Turner Family Fun!

Friday, January 25, 2008

Motherhood/Toddlerhood - YIKES!

This is an excerpt from my journal I found. I went to a MOPS meeting this week and they were talking about finding joy in toddlers. I kept thinking of this day, and I thought I would share it with you, so you too can know you are not alone on this crazy roller coaster. Remember this was in December 2004. Danielle was in 1st Grade, Kaitlyn in Preschool - almost 4, and Cameron was the terrible 2 years old. I now have Aedan, but it is a little easier since the other kids are all older. I had forgotten how hard toddlers were, and now Aedan is reminding me every minute.


I awake at 0530 with gun fire being exchanged across my back, cars zooming up and down my legs. Then between the "pew pew, Vrooom" I hear, "I nt (I want) baba peeese. So it's out of bed. I can't find my glasses. Feeling around blind I discover them under the bed, after I unbend them and try to fix my ponytail tighter so the ear piece will stay lodged into my hair since it no longer fits behind my ear. I am then off to get the babab (sippy cup). I make it to the kitchen to discover that the cupcakes I stayed up so late making the night before, hence my tired states this morning, are now one big squished cake, thank goodness for saran wrap - it held everything on the plate. "Wow" I think to myself,"my Cameron must have been up pretty early to get this all done and then re-in act WWII". So upstairs I head with milk in hand, sure enough he was tired. (sound asleep on the floor).
Two hours before the bus and I get started on the 2nd batch of cupcakes. Cupcakes are cooling and I get #1 (Danielle, age 6)up. She's pretty easy as long as I have my cattle prod.




Then for #2(Kaitlyn age 4). Peed the bed again, so it's off to the tub, while I change the sheets and get laundry going. Out of the tub and then the war begins. "I don't want to go to school" "but it's your birthday tomorrow and I made cupcakes for your class." "I don't want to wear pants." "but it's freezing outside." "I want to wear a dress and my little pony sandals" I then proceed to dress her in appropriate clothes. She continues to bawl, rotating between "I don't want to go to school and I don't want to wear pants."
The 2 year old wakes up with a poopy diaper, but no time. I have 10 minutes until bus. It's cold cereal. #1 eats while I do her hair and put her shoes and socks on. #2 eats and watches a little cartoons. She forgets about school and pants. While #1 brushes her teeth, I put coat on the baby and slipper with soles and coat on me (yes, I still have my pjs on.) Get #1 bundled up and backpack on. Then I hear, "mom I need a lunch. I am out of coupons at school." I send #1 ahead to bus. I rush in to make PB&J, grab OJ and an apple. Throw it in lunch bag, and grab baby. Run to catch up with daughter who is dawdling along the sidewalk. I see the bus ahead and yell to my daughter to run. We make it just in time.
Few - #1 is gone. Now for the rest of them.


Feed baby while frosting cupcakes. Oh yeah - the diaper. change it and dress him. Shoes on #2, brush teeth, bawling again. Put kids in car, drive #2 to school (German Kindergarten), carry her in bawling. Teacher takes her and cupcakes and I am off.
#2 gone.
Once home it's dishes, oh no, I forgot to start dishwasher last night. Push start. Wash sink full by hand. Take sheets out of washing machine put in dryer, start water for another load. (2-3 loads a day is about average).
Phone rings answer phone, get on computer, check bank account, pay bills, check email, open diet coke. Check laundry - forgot to add clothes. Start again. Head upstairs to make beds, clean up toys, think about shower, hear crash, fly downstairs, find Cameron standing in the middle of family room floor with empty 5 lbs bag of flour. You guessed it - the rest is on the floor. Clean up flour, start Nemo for Cameron, back upstairs to shower, decide to grab laundry on the way. Fold laundry, switch laundry, put laundry away, look at clock, grab baby - off to get #2. I can't believe it is noon.
#2 had a great day at school, doesn't want to come home. Get home, drink diet coke in two swallows, make chicken nuggets. After lunch movie for #2 and nap for #3. (Cameron lost his crib at 18months after crawling out of it.)



#3 doesn't want nap. He screams, and I have to lay by him and hold him down for 45 mins. before he goes to sleep. I sneak into the shower and get dressed. No time for make-up, hair or such. Rush down stairs, laundry, dishes, and then #1 is home from school.

Then the after school drama, "can I play with ---?" "after your homework." "can I just play for a little while, then I promise I will do my homework.". Mom gives in, within 10 mins. friends come taddeling and Danielle ends up in Time-out. Then she does her homework. Get dinner - dad comes home - Yeah!!!!
"how was your day?" he asks. "it was great" I answer - I did get to shower after all.

4 comments:

Miriam said...

Wow! A day in the life of a busy mom is quite something. You rock!

MiandMiksmom said...

This is seriously hilarious! I don't know how y'all do it with more than two kids...seriously. My hands are so full with two. You are awesome! And does it ever strike you funny that sometimes the goal of the entire day is to just get a shower?????

Nan said...

I love how you number your kids! You are so funny. Yeah, this sounds like my day. Especially the laundry & I have forgotten to put the clothes in too. Frustrating! I can't believe you had this in your journal, what a good girl!

Chellie said...

That is hilarious! I've found being up by 5-- go running, hit the shower is my only time of sanity. I have no idea how you do it with four. I can barely keep track of 3... and one of them is only here half the time!

I loved the pictures too. Your kids are so cute!

About Me

My photo
I am a medical social worker on leave for another 5+ years. I am a proud wife of a wonderful man who gladly serves our country in the military. I have 4 exhausting children who keep me running, laughing, and in touch with fantasy.